My car

My Car - I've a 2005 Audi A8 D3 4.2 petrol V8 (288 g/km). It's a nice car and i've had it about 3 years and it's always been pretty good to me, but I've been looking at changing it for a while. Since I used to have an older version of the S8 I've been keeping an eye on the market with an idea of upgrading. I've almost done it a couple of times, going to look at cars but never quite being happy with the ones I've seen.

Following this journey i've had a look at the specs of the Audi D3 V10 S8 in a bit of a different light and at 319 g/km emissions, i'm just not sure I can afford that! The ~£500 tax isn't the bit that bothers me, nor the poor fuel economy because I could afford the money to run it. It's that extra 31g/km increase that I am no longer happy with. 


On a roughly average (for me) year i'm at about 15,000 miles, so :

15,000 miles = 24140 , 31g = 0.000031 tonnes

0.000031 x 24140 = 0.748 tonnes of extra CO2

That unfortunately isn't acceptable to me any more. It's a shame as I'm sure it would be an awesome car, but that's a hard NOPE from me now!


My car also has LPG. It's been a bit ropey on reliability because of a poor install before I bought it. After some research it seems that LPG is a 1/3 cleaner in CO2 and also other emissions.

1/3 x 288 = 97 saved or 191 g/km 


0.000097 x 24140 = 2.34 tonnes reduction

After working the above out, i've prioritized getting the LPG system working better and using it more.
I believe I can actually save ~2 tonnes as there is still a bit of petrol usage with LPG, it is also cheaper than petrol too, so a bonus cost saving. WIN/WIN



Where quite I go from here i'm less sure. I'll probably be keeping my existing A8 for a while on LPG and increasing it's current 180k miles. About the only idea i've got at the moment is the more modern D4 A8 in 3.0L diesel guise. It's 174 g/km, so would probably save ~0.5 tonnes of CO2 on my current situation, but I need to know more about Diesel and that's probably for another day!

There is a 2.0l A8 hybrid, though it's specs are a bit meh and only 149 g/km, it's also not quattro, and as such even less of interest and if I have to ditch 4wd I can probably do better elsewhere  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 - Another odd year

Carbon Self Tax

Carbon Offset Investing - revisited